ENGAGE project final workshop 11-13 September 2019, Bratislava, Slovakia
Start Date: Sep 11th, 2019 00:00
End Date: Sep 13th, 2019 23:59
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
The ENGAGE project (http://www.engage-concert.eu/), funded under the H2020 CONCERT European Joint Programme, focuses on Enhancing stakeholder participation in the governance of radiological risks for improved radiation protection and informed decision making. It examines three fields in detail: medical exposures to ionizing radiation, post-accident exposures, and exposure to indoor radon.
Stakeholder engagement is recognized as essential in the governance of radiological risk. But how is stakeholder engagement achieved? Whom does it include and why? How can it inform radiation protection practices and decision making?
This workshop will tap into participants' expertise and experiences on these and related questions, with the aim of stimulating more effective and democratic governance of radiological risks.
The workshop will consist of presentations, panels and facilitated group discussions, addressing:
- The connection between stakeholder engagement prescriptions and practice;
- The conditions for meaningful participation and commitment of institutional and non-institutional stakeholders;
- Bridging risk assessment, risk management and risk communication approaches and stakeholders;
- Alignment of different decision levels: local, regional, national and international;
- Informed decision-making (role of communication, access to information, informed consent);
- Radiation protection cultures, including objectives, target stakeholders, content, tools, evaluation processes;
- Broadening the scope of 'participation' in radiation protection beyond formal institutional approaches;
- Education, training and capacity building.