Born 28. April 1931 at Weimar
Studied experimental physics from 1951 to 1956 at the Freie Universität Berlin. Graduation as Diplom-Physicst in 1956. His first post was as a physicst at the Strahleninstitut of the Hospital St. Georg at Hamburg (Directors: Prof. Dr. H. Holthusen/Prof. Dr. F. Gauwerky). In November 1962 he moved to the Saarland University as scientific assistant in the Institut for Biophysics (Director: Prof. Dr. H. Muth). He obtained his Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat) in 1967. While at the Saarland University he formed of a working group for radiological physics at the radiological clinic.
In 1971 he completed his habilitation at the medical faculty of the Saarland University in Biophysics and Physical Mundamentals of Medicin following which he was appointed as professor.
In 1985 the working group for radiological physics became an independent institut for radiological physics and he was appointed as its director.
He retired in 1996.
Secretary General and President of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Medizinische Physik (DGMP)
Secretary General and President of the European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP)
Chairman of the taskgroup 5 "Radiotherapy" of the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) Member of various taskgroups of the DGMP Member of the Commission for Radiation Protection of the German Federal Ministry for
Environment and Reactor Safety.