The European Federation of Organisations in Medical Physics (EFOMP) was founded in 1980. The current membership covers 35 national organisations and 3 affiliated national organisations which together represent more than 5000 physicists and engineers working in the field of Medical Physics.
• to foster and coordinate the activities of National Member Organisations, collaborating with national and international organisations.
• encourage exchange and dissemination of professional and scientific information, and exchange of Medical Physicists between countries.
• to develop guidelines for education, training and accreditation programmes,
• to make recommendations on the responsibilities, organisational relationships and roles of Medical Physicists,
• encourage the formation of Organisations for Medical Physics where such organisations do not exist.
• to work for Europe-wide recognition of Medical Physics as a regulated profession in all member states as well as Medical Physics as a health care profession.